SubjectRe: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:03:07 -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Can you try to load the i2c-dev driver, then run the following commands
> > and report the results:
> > $ i2cdetect -l
> > For each bus listed:
> > $ i2cdetect N
>
> FWIW it's really an ATIIXP chipset, but supposedly PIIX4 compatible:
>
> # i2cdetect -l
> i2c-0 smbus SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 8400 Non-I2C SMBus adapter

No i2c_ec. Maybe your distribution is loading it by default for
everyone then.

Either way, it means you can forget right away about sbs, if i2c_ec
didn't register a device, sbs cannot be used.

> # i2cdetect 0
> WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
> I will probe file /dev/i2c-0.
> I will probe address range 0x03-0x77.
> Continue? [Y/n] y
> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
> 00: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 10: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 20: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 30: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 40: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 50: 50 51 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 60: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX 69 XX XX XX XX XX XX
> 70: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX

Only a couple EEPROMs and a clock chip on your SMBus, it's very
unlikely that ACPI accesses this at all. So I'd be surprised that
i2c-piix4 is causing any trouble.

This leaves asus_acpi as the only candidate? Better unload _all_ the
drivers you consider as suspects, and see if it changes anything. I
guess not.

--
Jean Delvare