    SubjectRe: [patch/rfc 2.6.20-git] parport reports physical devices
    On Sunday 18 February 2007 9:28 pm, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:08:07 -0800 David Brownell wrote:
    > > Currently a parport_driver can't get a handle on the device node for the
    > > underlying parport (PNPACPI, PCI, etc). That prevents correct placement
    > > of sysfs child nodes, which can affect things like power management.
    > >
    > > This patch resolves that issue for non-legacy configurations:
    > Does this patch address ?

    I don't think it would affect that behavior, but surprises can happen;
    like the root cause of 5496 being the lack of hookup to the real device.

    > What are you wondering about parport DMA?

    First, whether it ever worked on ports enumerated through PNP.

    After all, I saw it oops there, ergo the surprisingly-far-afield
    parts of this patch to update PNP so it now sets up DMA masks.
    (Which, I was thinking, probably matters mostly for parport;
    but I'm just assuming 24-bit masks are correct there.)

    > Please see
    > and

    Suggesting that no, it's never worked on ports enumerated
    through PNP. There's a possibility that if it previously
    worked through PCI, it now works ... someone with a parport
    printer could check it out.

    - Dave

      Last update: 2007-02-19 06:55    [W:0.021 / U:1.624 seconds]