    SubjectRe: 2.6.20: libata PATA ATAPI CDROM weirdness on ALI
    Brandon Low wrote:

    > I'm having some weirdness during boot with my optical drives on 2.6.20.
    > ata2.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
    > ata2.01: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
    > ata2.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
    > ata2.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)
    > ata2.00: limiting speed to UDMA/25
    > ata2: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    > ata2.00: configured for UDMA/25
    > ata2.01: configured for UDMA/33
    > the 4 lines starting with qc timeout _would_ repeat with lower speeds
    > until the drive was finally disabled and then do the same for 2.01,
    > except that on this particular attempt, I had the thought to eject both
    > optical drives while it sat there. Boot then proceeded normally and the
    > drives appear to work.
    > Intuitively this seems to indicate that the drives aren't being sent
    > some kind of wake-up call before their transfer modes are set.
    > The motherboard is an ASRock 939 Dual SATA II.

    In my case of relatively old ALi chipset CD-ROM was never detected if DMA is
    allowed. Unfortunately this remained mystery for quite some time. Legacy
    IDE drivers are working just fine; it is only pata_ali that failes :(

    See e.g.
    (2.6.19: ALi M5229 - CD-ROM not found with pata_ali)

    if you have any idea how to debug it ...

    > Let me know if there is any more information that I can provide.
    > Thanks,
    > Brandon Low

      Last update: 2007-02-18 07:01    [W:0.043 / U:30.544 seconds]