SubjectRe: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 14/21] Xen-paravirt: Add XEN config options and disable unsupported config options.
Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 16/2/07 07:25, "Jeremy Fitzhardinge" <jeremy@goop.org> wrote:
>

>>> Oh, so that's why it doesn't break when CONFIG_PREEMPT=y. In which case
>>> that preempt_disable() I spotted is wrong-and-unneeded.
>>>
>>> Why doesn't Xen work with preemption??
>>>
>> I've forgotten the details. Ian? Keir? Steven? Maybe it can be done.
>>

> It breaks guest save/restore for us currently because threads can be
> sleeping with machine addresses in local storage (registers, stack). There
> are a few ways to achieve an acceptable solution:
>
> 1. Put processes in the freezer when we suspend. This should avoid any
> thread being in a critical section with machine addresses in its hand. We
> haven't yet investigated the performance impact of freezing processes,
> particularly on the downtime of live relocation.
>
> 2. Allow CONFIG_PREEMPT to be compiled in, but disable it at runtime. We
> could do this by, for example, reserving a bit in preempt_count() so that
> most preemption checks do not touch any more cache lines. I guess it would
> need a bit of fixing up (e.g., so that in_atomic() would not be always
> asserted). Even better for us would be to allow switching between
> involuntary and voluntary preemption at runtime. It looks as though the hook
> points for these two techniques are not usually compiled in at the same
> time, however.

Doesn't stop_machine_run already take care of getting you out of all
kernel threads? So you can only be sleeping, not preempted, in which
case, this might not be an issue?

Zach

  Last update: 2007-02-16 11:25    [W:0.290 / U:1.392 seconds]