    SubjectRe: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers
    On 2/15/07, Geert Uytterhoeven <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, v j wrote:

    > Personally, I see no real difference between EXPORT_SYMBOL and
    > If you derive from GPL'ed code, your code is a derived work.

    I agree with you that there's no difference in law, though I think the
    difference is that neither creates a derived work. "Derived work" is a
    very vague notion in law, and the case law on this has varied over
    time. I think it would be a real crap shoot for both sides to bring
    this to court, at least in the US.

    Note, though, that I DO support the OSS equation and believe that
    companies *should not* use closed-source modules, whether it's legal
    or not, except in the very specific case of code that also works with
    other systems. I think this ethical imperative goes with the nature of
    the author's gift to the community.

      Last update: 2007-02-16 02:27    [W:0.170 / U:34.448 seconds]