SubjectRe: [patch 05/11] syslets: core code
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I don't think the "atom" approach is bad per se. I think it could be fine
> to have some state information in user space. It's just that I think
> complex interfaces that people largely won't even use is a big mistake. We
> should concentrate on usability first, and some excessive cleverness
> really isn't a big advantage.
>
> Being able to do a "open + stat" looks like a fine thing. But I doubt
> you'll see a lot of other combinations.

I actually think that building chains of syscalls bring you back to a
multithreaded solution. Why? Because suddendly the service thread become
from servicing a syscall (with possible cachehit optimization), to
servicing a whole session. So the number of service threads needed (locked
down by a chain) becomes big because requests goes from being short-lived
syscalls to long-lived chains of them. Think about the trivial web server,
and think about a chain that does open->fstat->sendhdrs->sendfile after an
accept. What's the difference with a multithreaded solution that does
accept->clone and execute the above code in the new thread? Nada, NIL.
Actually, there is a difference. The standard multithreaded function is
easier to code in C than with the complex atoms chains. The number of
service thread becomes suddendly proportional to the number of active
sessions.
The more I look at this, the more I think that async_submit should submit
simple syscalls, or an array of them (unrelated/parallel).

- Davide

  Last update: 2007-02-15 18:07    [W:0.191 / U:0.836 seconds]