SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.19.2: maybe a bug inside the r8169 network driver (was Re: Linux 2.6.19.2: Freeze with CIFS mount)
Date
On Tuesday 13 February 2007 21:30:47 Francois Romieu wrote:
> Eric Lacombe <tuxiko@free.fr> :
> [...]
>
> > That problem also remind me that when I compiled this driver without
> > the "CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET" (in the section "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)"), I
> > have really poor performance with the net device. Maybe it is related, or
> > not ;)
> >
> > If it gives you more ideas ?
> > Maybe it could be interesting to know about the r8169 maintainer, but I
> > dont know who he is.
>
> 1. $ ls
> arch crypto include kernel mm scripts
> block Documentation init lib net security
> COPYING drivers ipc MAINTAINERS README sound
> CREDITS fs Kbuild Makefile REPORTING-BUGS usr
>
> The maintainer of the r8169 driver is listed in the MAINTAINERS file.

I see, thanks ;)

(I thought the MAINTAINERS file was not fully maintained ;)

> 2. Disabling CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET is a bad idea. Don't do that.

ok, but why having it only inside the "ethernet 100" menu ?
It is misleading, no ?

> 3. See tethereal -w or tcpdump on the adequate interface to save a
> traffic dump.

yep, but the problem is that I cant do that from the NAS Box. I will try to
monitor the traffic via the system that will freeze... For the moment I can't
monitor the net traffic from an alternate PC, but soon.

> 4. Are you using a binary module for your video adapter ?

yes, I suppose that I have to unload this one before doing further tests.

> 5. How does the 2.6.20 version of the r8169 driver behave ?

I don't have installed it yet, but I'll do it this evening.

> 6. You may setup a cron to monitor an ethtool dump of the register of
> the 8169 at regular interval. ifconfig and /proc/interrupts could
> exhibit some unusual drift as time passes on too.

I will do that. When I could put a third system to monitor the traffic, I will
make "the system that freeze" keep sending that information to it.

> 7. A dmesg would be welcome.

I could do that, this evening.

> 8. Please open a PR at bugzilla.kernel.org.

ok

> |...]
> |
> > > There are various ways to analyze system hangs including (at least in
> > > some cases) getting a system dump which
> > > can be used to isolate the failing location - hopefully
> >
> > I would like to have more detailed help, if possible.
>
> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ is set. Check that the magic sysrq is not disabled at
> runtime through /etc/sysctl.conf. See Documentation/sysrq.txt for details.

ok

> Please keep Steve French in the loop.

ok

Thanks for your response ;)

Eric

  Last update: 2007-02-14 11:53    [W:0.075 / U:0.108 seconds]