    SubjectRe: [patch 05/21] Xen-paravirt: paravirt_ops: allocate a fixmap slot
    Dan Hecht wrote:
    > Why doesn't Xen allocate the shared_info page from the pseudo-physical
    > space? Doesn't it already have to steal pages from the
    > pseudo-physical space for e.g. initial page tables, console, etc? Why
    > not do the same for shared_info, and then you don't need a reserve the
    > fixmap slot.

    Unlike the pagetable pages or the console page, the shared info page
    doesn't have a pseudo-physical address, so in order to map it we need to
    directly construct a pte containing the mfn for that page. Inserting
    this mapping into the fixmap space seems like the easiest way to do
    this. It's not like a fixmap slot costs anything.

      Last update: 2007-02-14 02:39    [W:0.019 / U:3.208 seconds]