    SubjectDocumenting MS_RELATIME

    I'm just updating the mount(2) man page for MS_RELATIME, and this is the
    text I've come up with:

    MS_RELATIME(Since Linux 2.6.20)
    When a file on this file system is accessed, only
    update the file's last accessed time (atime) if
    the current value of atime is less than or equal
    to the file's last modified (mtime) or last sta-
    tus change time (ctime). This option is useful
    for programs, such as mutt(1), that need to know
    when a file has been read since it was last modi-

    This text is based on your comments accompanying the various patches, but
    it differs in a respect. Your comments said that the atime would only be
    updated if the atime is older than mtime/ctime. However, what the code
    actually does is update atime if it is is <= mtime/ctime -- i.e., atime is
    older than or *or equal to* mtime/ctime.

    I'm sure that the code implements your intention, but before incorporating
    the above text I thought I just better check, since the code differs from
    your comment. Can you just confirm that the proposed man page text is okay.

    Michael Kerrisk
    maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

    Want to help with man page maintenance? Grab the latest tarball at
    read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source files for 'FIXME'.

      Last update: 2007-02-10 19:01    [W:0.020 / U:19.408 seconds]