    SubjectRe: sky2 hangs
    I can reproduce the problem now (on mac mini). Interestingly it seems to whack
    the whole ethernet switch when it happens.
    > - a previously suggested fix - passing idle=poll to the kernel - did not
    > work for me at the end

    It is not an MSI or IRQ problem. It is a phy problem (see below).

    > - the locks I have happen very periodically (somewhere around every 22-28
    > hours), as if the chip would die after a given amount of data transferred;
    > I know this looks stupid but I thought I might mention it
    > - I have about 1Mbit/s of (incoming) traffic on this interface: with
    > short, very high peaks, as there is a MySQL server on the other end,
    > receiving about 100 queries per second
    > - unloading the sky2 module totally freezes the computer for me

    If you do:
    ethtool -r eth0
    it cause a PHY reset (renegotiation) and clears the problem.

    Stephen Hemminger <>

      Last update: 2007-02-02 00:03    [W:0.023 / U:1.916 seconds]