SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 LinuxKernel Summit
From
On 1/31/07 3:30 PM, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
>> Don't confused KS with a conference;
>> it is a workshop for a very, very large, very very active project.
>
> ... and *growing*, which is the real issue I think.
>
> Something that might make sense for KS is to have multiple sessions
> (perhaps replacing some or all of the "mini-summits" that have cropped
> up) combined with some bigger, overall sessions. At least that way
> there would be more cross-pollination between the various groups than if
> we eventually end up meeting everywhere.
>
> That's of course only practical if KS is separated from any other
> conference (like OLS.)

I have discussed this idea with a few people in the past. One could organize
a set of interlocking / overlapping mini summits and end with a joint day
for everyone. This would almost certainly create some idle time for almost
every attendee - but obviously that can be filled by a hack fest or
something.

I don't think this could be organized for September (actually, I don't know
how firm the contracts with the facilities are at this point), but certainly
something we could plan for next year. One nice side-effect would be to
allow for an overall larger group - you could have 30-40 people per "track"
and maybe 100-120 total. Yes, this makes the conversation on the last day
harder, but it would still stay productive and interactive for the most
part.

/D

  Last update: 2007-02-01 06:45    [W:0.264 / U:0.044 seconds]