    SubjectRe: Why does reading from /dev/urandom deplete entropy so much?
    On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 08:21:16AM +0200, Ismail Dönmez wrote:
    > My understanding was if you can drain entropy from /dev/urandom any futher
    > reads from /dev/urandom will result in data which is not random at all. Is
    > that wrong?

    Past a certain point /dev/urandom will stat returning results which
    are cryptographically random. At that point, you are depending on the
    strength of the SHA hash algorithm, and actually being able to not
    just to find hash collisions, but being able to trivially find all or
    most possible pre-images for a particular SHA hash algorithm. If that
    were to happen, it's highly likely that all digital signatures and
    openssh would be totally broken.

    - Ted