SubjectRe: git guidance
Date
On Dec 7, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 22:04:48 +0300, Al Boldi said:
>
>> Because WORKFLOW C is transparent, it won't affect other
>> workflows. So you
>> could still use your normal WORKFLOW B in addition to WORKFLOW C,
>> gaining an
>> additional level of version control detail at no extra cost other
>> than the
>> git-engine scratch repository overhead.
>>
>> BTW, is git efficient enough to handle WORKFLOW C?
>
> Imagine the number of commits a 'make clean; make' will do in a
> kernel tree, as
> it commits all those .o files... :)

My guess is that Al is not really a developer (product management/
marketing?), what he has in mind is probably not an SCM but a backup
system a la Mac's time machine or Netapp's snapshots that also
support disconnected commits. I think that git could be a suitable
engine for such systems, after a few tweaks to avoid compressing
already compressed blobs like jpeg, mp3 and mpeg etc.

__Luke

  Last update: 2007-12-07 23:11    [W:0.098 / U:0.260 seconds]