SubjectRe: How to manage shared persistent local caching (FS-Cache) with NFS?
Date
Hi David-

On Dec 5, 2007, at 8:22 PM, David Howells wrote:
> Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't see how persistent local caching means we can no longer
>> ignore (a)
>> and (b) above. Can you amplify this a bit?
>
> How about I put it like this. There are two principal problems to
> be dealt
> with:
>
> (1) Reconnection.
>
> Imagine that the administrator requests a mount that uses part
> of a cache.
> The client machine is at some time later rebooted and the
> administrator
> requests the same mount again.
>
> Since the cache is meant to be persistent, the administrator
> is at liberty
> to expect that the second mount immediately begins to use the
> data that
> the first mount left in the cache.
>
> For this to occur, the second mount has to be able to
> determine which part
> of the cache the first mount was using and request to use the
> same piece
> of cache.
>
> To aid with this, FS-Cache has the concept of a 'key'. Each
> object in the
> cache is addressed by a unique key. NFS currently builds a
> key to the
> cache object for a file from: "NFS", the server IP address,
> port and NFS
> version and the file handle for that file.

Why not use the fsid as well? The NFS client already uses the fsid
to detect when it is crossing a server-side mount point. Fsids are
supposed to be stable over server reboots (although sometimes they
aren't, it could be made a condition of supporting FS-cache on clients).

I also note the inclusion of server IP address in the key. For multi-
homed servers, you have the same unavoidable cache aliasing issues if
the client mounts the same server and export via different server
network interfaces.

> (2) Cache coherency.
>
> Imagine that the administrator requests a mount that uses part
> of a
> cache. The administrator then makes a second mount that
> overlaps the
> first, maybe because it's a different part of the same server
> export or
> maybe it uses the same part, but with different parameters.
>
> Imagine further that a particular server file is accessible
> through both
> mountpoints. This means that the kernel, and therefore the
> user, has two
> views of the one file.
>
> If the kernel maintains these two views of the files as
> totally separate
> copies, then coherency is mostly not a kernel problem, it's an
> application
> problem - as it is now.
>
> However, if these two views are shared at any level - such as
> if they
> share an FS-Cache cache object - then coherency can be a problem.

Is it a problem because, if there are multiple copies of the same
remote file in its cache, then FS-cache doesn't know, upon
reconnection, which item to match against a particular remote file?

I think that's actually going to be a fairly typical situation --
you'll have conditions where some cache items will become orphaned,
for example, so you're going to have to deal with that ambiguity as a
part of normal operation.

For example, if the FS-caching client is disconnected or powered off
when a remote rename occurs that replaces a file it has cached, the
client will have an orphaned item left over. Maybe this use case is
only a garbage collection problem.

> The two simplest solutions to the coherency problem are (a) to
> enforce
> sharing at all levels (superblocks, inodes, cache objects),
> (b) to enforce
> non-sharing. In-between states are possible, but are much
> trickier and
> more complex.
>
> Note that cache coherency management can't be entirely
> avoided: upon
> reconnection a cache object has to be checked against the
> server to see
> whether it's still valid.

How do you propose to do that?

First, clearly, FS-cache has to know that it's the same object, so
fsid and filehandle have to be the same (you refer to that as the
"reconnection problem", but it may generally be a "cache aliasing
problem").

I assume FS-cache has a record of the state of the remote file when
it was last connected -- mtime, ctime, size, change attribute (I'll
refer to this as the "reconciliation problem")? Does it, for
instance, checksum both the cache item and the remote file to detect
data differences?

You have the same problem here as we have with file system search
tools such as Beagle. Reconciling file contents after a reconnection
event may be too expensive to consider for NFS, especially if a file
is terabytes in size.

> Note that both these problems only really exist because the cache is
> persistent between mounts. If it were volatile between mounts,
> then (1) would not exist, and (2) can be ignored as it is now.

Do you allow administrators to select whether the FS-cache is
persistent? Or is it always unconditionally persistent?

An adequate first pass at FS-cache can be done without guaranteeing
persistence. There are a host of other issues that need exposure --
steady-state performance; cache garbage collection and reclamation;
cache item aliasing; whether all files on a mount point should be
cached on disk, or some in memory and some on disk; and so on -- that
can be examined without even beginning to worry about reboot recovery.

And what would it harm if FS-cache decides that certain items in its
cache have become ambiguous or otherwise unusable after a
reconnection event, thus it reclaims them instead of re-using them?

> There are three obvious ways of dealing with the problems (ignoring
> the fact
> that all cases have on-reconnection coherency to deal with whatever):
>
> (a) No sharing at all.
>
> Cache coherency is what it is now with NFS, but reconnection
> must be
> managed. A key must be generated to each mount to distinguish
> that mount
> from an overlapping mount that might contain the same files.
>
> These keys must be unique (and uniqueness must be enforced)
> unless two
> superblocks are guaranteed disjoint (eg: on different
> servers), or are
> guaranteed to share anyway (eg: exact same parameter sets and
> nosharecache
> not specified).
>
> (b) Fully shared.
>
> Cache coherency is a non-issue. Reconnection is a non-issue.
> Any
> particular server inode is guaranteed to be represented by a
> single inode
> on the client, both in the superblock and the pagecache, and
> by a single
> FS-Cache cache object.
>
> The downside of this is that sharing must take priority over
> different
> connection parameters. R/O vs R/W can be dealt relatively
> easily as I
> believe it's a local phenomenon, and is dealt with before the
> filesystem
> is consulted. There are patches to do this.
>
> (c) Implicit full sharing between cached mountpoints; uncached
> mountpoints
> need not be shared.
>
> Cached mountpoints have the properties of (b), uncached
> mountpoints are
> left to themselves.
>
> Note that redundant disk usage is undesirable, but unlikely to
> cause a real
> problem, such as an oops. Non-unique keys, on the other hand, are
> a problem.
>
> Having non-shared local inodes sharing cache objects causes even
> more problems,
> and I don't want to go there.
>
>> Nothing you say in the rest of your proposal convinces me that having
>> multiple caches for the same export is really more than a
>> theoretical issue.
>
> Okay. So how do you do reconnection?
>
> The simplest way from what I see is to require that the
> administrator specify
> everything, but this is probably not what you want if you're
> distributing NFS
> mounts by NIS, say.

Automatic configuration is preferred. For example, NFS with Kerberos
has an administrative scaling problem because some local
administration (creating a keytab and registering the client with
KDC) is required for every client that joins a realm.

> The next simplest way is to bind all the differentiation parameters
> (see
> nfs_compare_mount_options()) into a key and use that, plus a
> uniquifier from
> the administrator if NFS_MOUNT_UNSHARED is set.

It gives us the proper legacy behavior, but as soon as the
administrator changes a mount option, all previously cached items for
that mount point become orphans.

>> As useful as the feature is, one can also argue that mounting the
>> same export
>> multiple times is infrequent in most normal use cases.
>> Practically speaking,
>> why do we really need to worry about it?
>
> Because it's possible. Because it has to be considered. Because,
> as you said,
> people do it. Because if I don't deal with it, the kernel will
> oops when NFS
> asks FS-Cache to do something it doesn't support.
>
> I can't just say: "Well, it'll oops if you configure your NFS
> shares like that,
> so don't. It's not worth me implementing round it.".

What causes that instability? Why can't you insulate against the
instability but allow cache incoherence and aliased cache items?

Local file systems are fraught with cases where they protect their
internal metadata aggressively at the cost of not keeping the disk up
to date with the memory version of the file system.

Similar compromises might benefit FS-cache. In other words, FS-cache
for NFS file systems may be less functional than for, say, AFS, to
allow the cache to operate reliably.

>> The real problem here is that the NFS protocol itself does not
>> support strong
>> cache coherence. I don't see why the Linux kernel must fix that
>> problem.
>
> So you're arguing there shouldn't be local caching for NFS? Or
> that there
> shouldn't be persistent local caching for NFS?

I'm arguing that cache coherence isn't supported by the NFS protocol,
so how can FS-cache *require* a facility to support persistent local
caching that the protocol doesn't have in the first place?

NFS client implementations do the best they can; there are always
scenarios where coherence issues cause behavior no-one expects.
Usually NFS clients handle ambiguous cases by invalidating their
caches. Invalidating is cheap for in-memory caches. Frequent
invalidation is going to be expensive for FS-cache, since it requires
some disk I/O (and perhaps even file truncation). One reason why
chunk caching is better than whole-file caching is that it bounds the
time and effort to recycle a cache item.

AFS assigns universally unique identities to servers, volumes, and
files. NFS doesn't guarantee unique identities to servers or
exports, and file handles are supposed to be unique only on a given
server [*]. And unfortunately file handles can be re-used by the
server without any indication to the client that the file handle it
has cached is no longer the same file (see the "out_fileid" label in
fs/nfs/inode.c:nfs_update_inode). AFS provides client-visible
generation IDs in its inode numbers for this case.

Thus NFS itself does not provide any good way to help you sort FS-
cache cache items outside of a single export. A proper FS-cache
implementation thus cannot depend on server/export identity to
guarantee the singularity of cache items.

So FS-cache will have a hard time guaranteeing that there is only one
item in its cache that maps to a given NFS server file. It may also
be difficult to guarantee that multiple NFS server files do not map
onto the same local cache item (file handle re-use).

This suggests to me that the cache aliasing problem is unsolvable for
NFS, so you should find a way to make FS-cache work in a world where
cache aliasing is a fact of life.

>> Lastly, there's already a mount option that allows admins to
>> control whether
>> the page and attribute caches are shared -- "sharecache". Is
>> this mount
>> option not adequate for persistent caching?
>
> Adequate in what way? It doesn't currently automatically guarantee
> sharing of
> overlapping superblocks. It merely disables nonsharecache which
> explicitly
> disables cache sharing.

The current problem with "sharecache" is that the mount options on
subsequent mounts of the same export are silently ignored. You are
proposing the same behavior for FS-cache-managed mount points, which
means we're spreading bad UI behavior further.

At least there should be a warning that explains why a file system
that was mounted with "rw,noac,tcp" is behaving like it's "ro,ac,udp".

Ideally, if we must have cache sharing, the behavior should be: if
the mount options, the server, and the fsid are the same, then the
cache should be shared. If any of that tuple are different, then a
unique cache is used for that mount point (within the limits of being
able to determine the unique identity of a server and export).

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

[*] Section 4 of RFC 3530 states:

The filehandle in the NFS protocol is a per server unique identifier
for a filesystem object. The contents of the filehandle are opaque
to the client. Therefore, the server is responsible for translating
the filehandle to an internal representation of the filesystem object.

  Last update: 2007-12-06 19:43    [W:0.073 / U:0.040 seconds]