    SubjectRe: [patch 06/11] Text Edit Lock - Alternative code for x86
    On 5 Dec 2007 at 21:02, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

    > Fix a memcpy that should be a text_poke (in apply_alternatives).
    > Use kernel_wp_save/kernel_wp_restore in text_poke to support DEBUG_RODATA
    > correctly and so the CPU HOTPLUG special case can be removed.
    > Add text_poke_early, for alternatives and paravirt boot-time and module load
    > time patching.
    > Notes:
    > - we use a macro for kernel_wp_save/restore to mimic local_irq_save/restore: the
    > argument is passed without &.

    sorry to chime in again, but lately i've been thinking that the
    cr0 argument is not really needed if one can ensure that calls
    to the kernel open/close macros won't nest (i checked and even
    in the PaX case it's easy to ensure, even desirable in fact).

    in your case it's also true for now and i can't think of a situation
    where you'd really want to nest in the future (that'd mean opening
    up the kernel while some complex piece of code runs, more complex
    than a mere memset at least ;-). what do you think?

     \ /
      Last update: 2007-12-06 16:45    [W:0.022 / U:7.400 seconds]