    SubjectRe: solid state drive access and context switching
    > > Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see it.  We want a block
    > > interface for these devices, we just need a faster slimmer interface.
    > > Maybe a new mtdblock interface that doesn't do erase would be the
    > > place for?
    > Doesn't do erase? MTD has to learn almost all tricks from the block
    > layer, as devices are becoming high-latency high-bandwidth, compared to
    > what MTD was designed for. In order to get any decent performance, we
    > need asynchronous operations, request queues and caching.
    > The only useful advantage MTD does have over block devices is an
    > _explicit_ erase operation. Did you mean "doesn't do _implicit_ erase".

    You're right. That the point I was trying to make, albeit badly, MTD
    isn't the place for this. The fact that more and more of what the MTD
    is being used for looks a lot like the block layer is a whole
    different discussion.

     \ /
      Last update: 2007-12-05 01:07    [W:0.022 / U:12.564 seconds]