    SubjectRe: remote debugging via FireWire * __fast__ firedump!
    Hi,
    I just wanted to let you know that I'll have picked up the early
    firewire patch again and cleaned it up very much so that it should
    be ready to submit it and but it on the patch-submission road.

    What's left to do is to write some HOWTO like Stefan describes
    below, but I'll try to get that done soon.

    I've also started working on the userspace tools and got firescope
    to work across the 32/64-bit machines (both directions), there is
    one hack (which I should do in a clean way insteat) in that patch
    of which I do not know if that works in ppc/ppc64 but I could look
    at it if needed or send the patch to Benjamin for adding support
    for ppc64, to do it properly, we'll probably need an target architecture
    option in firescope and as I do not know if it's needed by Benjamin,
    I left out ppc64 for now.

    I have just had the guts to explore __fast__ memory dumping over
    firewire for full-system dumps (reading quadlets is __painfully__
    show if you want to read 2GB of memory over the bus, you only get
    about some some kilobytes each second) using raw1394_start_read()
    to allow also block reads instead of just quatlet reads.

    The biggest block size that worked here was 2048 bytes, which was
    enough to get nearly 10MB/s of data transfer rate from the remote
    memory to disk. Dumping 2GB of remote memory was just a matter of
    about 3 few short minutes which quickly ran by.

    Afterwards, the victim was dead (I excluded the low MB of memory,
    so something else must have caused this), at least the start of
    the dump looked well, but I haven't tested the error handling yet,
    but I'll send you the tool (I called it firedump) soon.

    Bernhard