    SubjectRe: Kernel Development & Objective-C
    From
    On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 09:59:31PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
    > C also requires a (very minimal) runtime. And I don't see how having a
    > runtime disqualifies a language from being usable in a kernel; the
    > runtime is just one more library, either supplied by the compiler or by
    > the kernel.

    Well the majority of C syntax requires no runtime library. There are
    some system call like things that you often want that need a library
    (like malloc and such), but those aren't really part of C itself. Of
    course without malloc and printf and file i/o calls the program would
    probably be a bit boring. I have written some small C programs without
    a runtime, where the few things I needed where implemented in assembly
    and poked the hardware directly and called from the C program.

    > Object orientation in C leaves much to be desired; see the huge number
    > of void pointers and container_of()s in the kernel.

    As a programming language, C leaves much to be desired.

    --
    Len Sorensen

      Last update: 2007-12-03 17:57    [W:0.021 / U:1.464 seconds]