SubjectRe: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:34:51 +0300
Ivan Kokshaysky <ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:07:09AM -0500, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> > So would always using conf1 for the non-extended space (unless the
> > platform only uses mmconfig), or at least for the first 64 bytes.
> > I'd bet all the subtle bugs are in the first few words, anyway.
> > (With blatant bugs in the rest, of course, where we want to
> > blacklist busses and devices)
>
> Yes. Though limiting conf1 to the first 64 bytes is simply not worth
> a pain - we would still have to deal with buses that are unreachable
> via mmconf.
>
> Always using legacy configuration mechanism for the legacy config
> space and extended mechanism (mmconf) for the extended config space
> is a simple and very logical approach. It's supposed to resolve *all*
> known mmconf problems. And it still allows per-device quirks
> (tweaking dev->cfg_size). And it does *remove* code, not add anything
> new/untested.

it removes code by removing quirks / known not working stuff..

I really don't like it.. sorry.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2007-12-28 17:21    [W:0.052 / U:0.248 seconds]