    SubjectRe: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > I have embedded boards where proper CRS operations is critical since the
    > kernel brings the PCIe link up itself, and thus is likely to hit devices
    > still in the middle of CRS.

    .. but that's perfectly fine. A PCI-E bridge will certainly retry it in
    hardware (or it isn't a PCI-E bridge!).

    The CRS bit in question is purely the *software*visible* bit - ie whether
    the OS gets told about the delay or not. As long as the OS then just
    retries the same device, enabling CRS SV is pointless.

    So I'm going to disable that thing. If there is some _other_ PCI-E bridge
    that is simply buggy, and cannot handle the hw retry itself or is just
    otherwise dodgy, we can have a white-list for cases where it really needs
    to be done, but the current code is just bogus.

     \ /
      Last update: 2007-12-28 06:41    [W:0.021 / U:110.980 seconds]