SubjectRe: Major regression on hackbench with SLUB (more numbers)

[/me sneaks away from the family]

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 01:00:09PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > > But sometimes when trying to eyeball what is going on, it's a lot
> > > nicer just to use "cat /proc/slabinfo".
> >
> > .. and I call BS on this claim.

[...]

> I can understand that it has to go away for technical reasons, but Ted
> is right, please don't believe that nobody uses it just because you got
> no complaint. While people are not likely to perform all computations
> in scripts, at least they're used to find some quickly identifiable
> patterns there.

I know when I'm looking for memory leaks, I've asked customers to give
snapshots of slabinfo at periodic times (once a day even, matters how bad
the leak is). This has been helpful in seeing if something did indeed
leak.

If you have a slab cache that constantly grows, and never shrinks, that's
a good indication that something might be leaking. Not always, since there
can be legitimate reasons for that, but sometimes it helps.

But I still scratch my head when ever I need to touch sysfs.

[/me runs back to the family]

-- Steve

  Last update: 2007-12-23 02:03    [W:0.216 / U:0.328 seconds]