    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.24-rc6
    Date
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:

    > Actually, the code to finding one '\n' is still needed to avoid the
    > (pathological) case of getting a "\No newline", so scrap that one which
    > was too aggressive, and use this (simpler) one instead.
    >
    > Not that it matters in real life, since nobody uses -U0, and "git blame"
    > won't care. But let's get it right anyway ;)

    Actually "blame won't care" is a bit too strong. It's only we
    (you) made it not to care. It is a different story if the
    change to make it not to care was sensible.

    The diff text "git blame" will see is affected with the tail
    trimming optimization exactly the same way as the optimization
    triggered this thread. With the common tails trimmed, the hunks
    match differently from the way they match without trimming (the
    gcc changelog testcase has differences between the unoptimized
    blame and the tail-trimming one --- your original to put this
    logic only in blame and my rewrite to move it in xdiff-interface
    produce the same result that is different from the unoptimized
    version, although both are 4x faster than the original).

    When there are multiple possible matches, any match among them
    is a correct match, and a match with a line in a blob is a match
    to the blob no matter what line the match is anyway. The usual
    workflow of checking blame to find the commit that introduced
    the change and then going to "git show" to view the bigger
    picture won't get affected. But the blamed line numbers will be
    different from the unoptimized blame, and it may not match the
    expectation of human readers. It won't match "git show" output
    of the blamed commit.

    > This whole function has had more bugs than it has lines.

    I have to agree. It started as a brilliant idea but then it was
    enhanced (in an attempt to support context) and executed not so
    brilliantly.

      Last update: 2007-12-21 18:05    [W:0.020 / U:30.232 seconds]