SubjectRe: Trailing periods in kernel messages
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 13:51 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> > The kernel printk messages are sentences. English language sentences end
> > with a full stop. They are messages printed up for normal human beings to
> > read and they should therefore be properly written.
> I totally agree.
> I think the incorrect grammar and lack of proper capitalization and
> puntuation in the kernel messages and our changelog entries is totally
> embarassing for a professional software project.

I agree with the grammar, capitalization, punctuation desires.
I add spelling, intelligibility and consistency to that list.

I believe though that printk messages are not sentences but are
logging statements. Statements do not require full-stops.

Opinions, of course, vary.

cheers, Joe

  Last update: 2007-12-20 23:11    [W:0.130 / U:0.548 seconds]