SubjectRe: PCI resource problems caused by improper address rounding

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> On 12/18/2007 04:09 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > I wonder what the heck is the point of that pnp entry. Just for fun, can
> > you try to just disable CONFIG_PNP, and see if it all works then?
>
> pnpacpi=off should work.
>
> PnP is also trying (and failing) to reserve all physical memory.

Yeah, that really is a pretty confused-looking pnp table thing. But I have
absolutely zero idea how PnP is even supposed to work - the whole thing is
just a total hack for Windows, afaik.

The sad part is that *normally* the right thing to do about almost any
BIOS information is what we do right now: just avoid that magic address
range like the plague, because we have no clue what the heck the BIOS is
up to. But it looks like in this particular case, some of the problems
may arise exactly *because* we avoid that range.

It would be good to know what Windows does. If ACPI is found, does it
perhaps just ignore all the PnP entries these days?

Linus

  Last update: 2007-12-18 23:01    [W:0.116 / U:0.088 seconds]