SubjectRe: Performance overhead of get_cycles_sync
From
Andi Kleen wrote:
> [headers rewritten because of gmane crosspost breakage]
>

>> In the latest kernel (2.6.24-rc3) I noticed a drastic performance
>> decrease for KVM networking.
>>

> That should not have changed for quite some time.
>
> Also it depends on the CPU of course.

I didn't find the exact place of the change but using fedora 2.6.23-8
there is no problem.
3aefbe0746580a710d4392a884ac1e4aac7c728f turn X86_FEATURE_SYNC_RDTSC
off for most
intel cpus, but it was committed in May.

>> The reason is many vmexit (exit reason is cpuid instruction) caused by
>> calls to gettimeofday that uses tsc sourceclock.
>> read_tsc calls get_cycles_sync which might call cpuid in order to
>> serialize the cpu.
>>
>> Can you explain why the cpu needs to be serialized for every gettime call?
>>

> Otherwise RDTSC can be speculated around and happen outside the protection
> of the seqlock and that can sometimes lead to non monotonic time reporting.

What about moving the result into memory and calling mb() instead?
> Anyways after a lot of discussions it turns out there are ways to archive
> this without CPUID and there is a solution implemented for this in ff
> tree which I will submit for .25. It's a little complicated though
> and not a quick fix.
>

>> Do we need to be that accurate? (It will also slightly improve physical
>> hosts).
>> I believe you have a reason and the answer is yes. In that case can you
>> replace the serializing instruction
>> with an instruction that does not trigger vmexit? Maybe use 'ltr' for
>> example?
>>

> ltr doesn't synchronize RDTSC.

According to Intel spec it is a serializing instruction along with cpuid
and others.