    SubjectRe: 20000+ wake-ups/second in 2.6.24. Bug?
    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:55:48 -0500
    Mark Lord <lkml@rtr.ca> wrote:

    > Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:43:39 -0500
    > > Mark Lord <lkml@rtr.ca> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dagnabbit.. it's done it again.. went from 100-200 wakeups/sec
    > >> back up to 20000+ wakeups/sec. This time *with* the powertop
    > >> patches in place.
    > >>
    > >> Somethings broken in there, but I don't know what.
    > >> Or how to make it happen on demand.. it's fine after rebooting
    > >> again.
    > >>
    > >> ???
    > >>
    > >> At least now I know to look when I hear the fan turning on
    > >> when the system is otherwise supposed to be idle..
    > >>
    > >> 2.6.23 did not have this problem.
    > >
    > > actually we have reports of 2.6.23 having the exact same problem.
    > > The thing is, "something" is causing the system to go into a state
    > > where the cpu throws us right out of the C-state the kernel asks
    > > for.
    >
    > Ahh. Okay, this machine here did not have the problem on 2.6.23.
    >
    > > Some people have seen that not loading yenta at all will just make
    > > this not happen at all...
    >
    > No yenta/cardbus here -- it's all PCIe.

    but.. is yenta loaded or built into the kernel?
    or is the config option off?
    Also, do you have a TI firewire bridge?
    (just asking the common patterns we've sort of kinda seen so far)

    > If you have any debug patches that could detect or help next time I
    > see it, then feel free to toss them this way.

    one thing to try (just as data collection) is to do
    lspci -vvxxx
    before it happens, and then again after it happens
    and then diff to see if something changed ;(

    (yes this is very crude; we've not been able to chase this one down at
    all so far).
    --
    If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2007-12-02 01:17    [W:0.023 / U:60.116 seconds]