SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc2=another train wreck with amanda
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 06:49:01 -0500 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have this line in my /etc/modprobe.conf:
> options dm-mod major=238
>
> And I had a fsckup while building 2.6.24-rc2 cuz I thought it needed to be
> based on 2.6.23.1 that has made 2.6.24-rc2 the only kernel that will boot
> without a panic, killing init message.
>
> I can survive that, but amanda (tar) went bonkers last night and tried to do a
> level 0 on everything, which is about 50GB, but its virtual tape size is only
> 11GB.
>
> The last time this happened that line above fixed the device mapper to a
> stable address at a major of 238 which tar was happy with.
>
> An ls -l of /dev/mapper:
> [root@coyote /]# ls -l /dev/mapper
> total 0
> crw------- 1 root root 10, 62 Nov 6 23:40 control
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 238, 0 Nov 6 23:40 VolGroup00-LogVol00
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 238, 1 Nov 6 23:40 VolGroup00-LogVol01
>
> So that hasn't changed, so what did? Amanda itself hasn't been changed in
> several months, running the 20070727 snapshot of amanda-2.5.2p1 all this
> time. Tar was updated by smart or yumex 2 or 3 days back, so it worked
> correctly after the update. That leaves something in 2.6.24-rc2. I didn't
> build rc1.
>
> Other than that, rc2 seems stable. But auditd failed to start in the bootup
> sequence. I think that's minor and may predate this particular kernel.
> However, selinux did a relabel before it booted, could that be the cause?

An selinux relabelling could well have caused a full backup by amanda.

There's a way of forcing a relabelling so that you can confirm this, but I
forget what it is (cc's added, please).

But we don't know why the relabelling happened, do we?

  Last update: 2007-11-07 19:33    [W:0.039 / U:0.360 seconds]