SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86 setup: correct booting on 486 (revised)
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Nailing down the interface as hard as possible is a good idea, to
>> avoid tying your hands for the future.
>
> Erm, I guess I see what you mean, but it comes to the effect of tying
> your hands now in a specific way, rather than having them tied in an
> unknown way later on...

Sort of. The problem is you can frequently not

> But I hadn't noticed the 32-bit boot protocol spec go in. Unfortunately
> it isn't useful for booting a pv Xen guest; I just mailed my comments.
> I hope we can iterate this to something more generally useful before
> getting too wedded to the current protocol.

I'm not so sure about that. Xen PV is rather fundamentally a different
beast, hence the platform field recently added to the protocol.

> 2. Also, Xen reserves the last chunk of the GDT for its own
> descriptors, and by default boots the guest with the segment
> registers preloaded with selectors pointing to flat 4G descriptors
> in this range. These segments are not a full 4G, since it uses
> segment limits to protect the hypervisor from guests. The limits
> are as large as they can possibly be. I like to see the boot
> protocol require that all segments registers are preloaded with
> large flat 32-bit descriptors, but not require a specific selector
> value. I'd happy to require the GDT to be active, so the segment
> registers can be reloaded with their current values, until the
> kernel establishes its own GDT.

This is addressed by the "don't reload segments" bit in LOADFLAGS.

-hpa

  Last update: 2007-11-05 22:13    [W:0.693 / U:0.272 seconds]