SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc1-82798a1 compile failure (x86_64)
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 02:31:33AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
>> Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:04:29 +0100

>>> At minimum the extra CFLAGS needs to be put into the .config - but
>>> that's not a too nice solution either. How about just adding an
>>> extra-CFLAGS option to .config and perhaps a 'make configpickupCFLAGS'
>>> pass for anyone who wants to propagate the environment CFLAGS into the
>>> kernel build.
>> I totally disagree.
>>
>> People can't have it both ways. CFLAGS has global meaning in every
>> Makefile based build tree, it's not an "autoconf" thing. This is well
>> established practice, and I think it's a good thing the kernel does it
>> now too.
>
> Makefiles do normally not pick such variables from the environment.

????

Are you sure???

From http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Environment

: Variables in make can come from the environment in which make
: is run. Every environment variable that make sees when it starts
: up is transformed into a make variable with the same name and
: value.

and most important:

: Thus, by setting the variable CFLAGS in your environment, you
: can cause all C compilations in most makefiles to use the
: compiler switches you prefer. This is safe for variables with
: standard or conventional meanings because you know that no
: makefile will use them for other things. (Note this is not
: totally reliable; some makefiles set CFLAGS explicitly and
: therefore are not affected by the value in the environment.)

ciao
cate

  Last update: 2007-11-04 17:23    [W:0.052 / U:1.840 seconds]