    SubjectRe: git guidance

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Jing Xue wrote:

    > By the way, the only SCM I have worked with that tries to mount its
    > repository (or a view on top of it) as a file system is ClearCase with
    > its dynamic views. And, between the buggy file system implementation,
    > the intrusion on workflow, and the lack of scalability, at least in
    > the organization I worked for, it turned out to be a horrible,
    > horrible, horrible idea.

    Doing a read-only mount setup tends to be pretty easy, but it's largely
    pointless except for specialty uses. Ie it's obviously not useful for
    actual *development*, but it can be useful for some other cases.

    For example, a read-only revctrl filesystem can be a _very_ useful thing
    for test-farms, where you may have hundreds of clients that run tests on
    possibly different versions at the same time. In situations like that, the
    read-only mount can actually often be done as a user-space NFS server on
    some machine.

    The advantage is that you don't need to export close to infinite amounts
    of versions from a "real" filesystem, or make the clients have their own
    copies. And if you do it as a user-space NFS server (or samba, for that
    matter), it's even portable, unlike many other approaches. The read-only
    part also makes 99% of all the complexity go away, and it turns out to be
    a fairly easy exercise to do.

    So I don't think the filesystem approach is _wrong_ per se. But yes, doing
    it read-write is almost invariably a big mistake. On operatign systems
    that support a "union mount" approach, it's likely much better to have a
    read-only revctl thing, and then over-mount a regular filesystem on top of
    it.

    Trying to make it read-write from the revctl engine standpoint is almost
    certainly totally insane.

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-11-29 17:23    [W:0.023 / U:29.452 seconds]