    SubjectRe: laptop reboots right after hibernation
    Tomas Carnecky wrote:
    > I kindof had suspected that. The docking station has an ultrabay slot
    > where I currently have a cdrom drive (since the notebook itself doesn't
    > have any cdrom drive. Once I took the cdrom drive out, I was able to
    > successfully perform what I wanted to do in points 3a and 5!
    > The 'undock' button probably doesn't tell the kernel that it should
    > unload the cdrom driver. Even though after pressing the undock button
    > the drive becomes unusable (the green led that is on the side of the
    > ultrabay disables and it's impossible to open the tray). Though pressing
    > the undock button causes the usb ports to be removed from the kernel, at
    > least that's what dmesg suggests (I put the notebook into the dock,
    > waited a bit and then pressed the undock button):

    That undock button generate an ACPI event, right? You probably need
    to hook that ACPI event such that something like the following gets

    echo 1 > /sys/device/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/host?/target?:?:?:?/?:?:?:?/delete"

    > usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11
    > usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    > hub 1-4:1.0: USB hub found
    > hub 1-4:1.0: 4 ports detected
    > ACPI: \_SB_.GDCK - docking
    > ACPI: \_SB_.GDCK - undocking
    > usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 11

    USB is capable of detecting hotplug event by itself. Unfortunately,
    ata_piix can't and in your case accessing non existent device is
    resulting machine reset. I don't know why tho. It usually just
    causes a bunch of timeouts before libata EH gives up on the device.

    > The notebook+dock+STR works as long as the notebook doesn't know about
    > the ultrabay device. That can be because the notebook was started
    > outside of the docking station, or inside the docking station but with
    > the ultrabay removed. But once the notebook sees the ultrabay device
    > it's over. As little as one suspend/resume cycle inside the docking
    > station and with a ultrabay device plugged in is enough to make the
    > kernel (partially) recognize the device - the kernel doesn't recognize
    > the device as a cdrom drive, but only as an UDMA/33 device. After one
    > suspend/resume cycle I see this in dmesg:

    Do you have sr_mod loaded?

    > ata4.00: ACPI cmd ef/03:45:00:00:00:a0 failed (Emask=0x1 Stat=0x51 Err=0x04)
    > ata4: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    > Coming out of suspend...
    > [... snip ...]
    > ata4.00: ACPI cmd ef/03:45:00:00:00:a0 failed (Emask=0x1 Stat=0x51 Err=0x04)

    That's your BIOS trying to set UDMA UDMA5 on the drive and the drive
    not liking it for some reason.

    > ata4.00: ACPI on devcfg failed the second time, disabling (errno=-5)
    > ata4.00: revalidation failed (errno=1)

    After two tries, libata thinks BIOS is no good and decides to turn off

    > ata4: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    > ata4.00: configured for UDMA/33

    Which results in successful configuration, yay.

    > And after that I can't resume outside of the docking station. So the
    > description of point 3 was incomplete, sorry about that.

    Can you please post...

    * full boot log with the ultra bay occupied.

    * the result of "hdparm -I /dev/sr0" with the ultra bay occupied.

    * the result of "lspci -nnvvv" with the ultra bay occupied.

    * full boot log without docking station.

    * the result of "lspci -nnvvv" without docking station.

      Last update: 2007-11-28 09:09    [W:0.027 / U:1.240 seconds]