    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] some overdue I2C driver removal
    From
    On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 11:23:57AM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
    > There's no driver to write (i2c-gpio is the driver). Instead, the
    > scx200 platform needs to implement the standard GPIO API. I don't think
    > that it has happened yet, and last time this was discussed, someone
    > (can't remember who, sorry), complained that the GPIO API "sucked" and
    > that the scx200 platform would not be updated to use it. I didn't buy
    > the claim due to a lack of argumentation and the fact that the GPIO
    > infrastructure seems to work well enough for many other platforms.
    >
    > As far as I can see, the ixp2000 platform also doesn't implement the
    > standard GPIO API yet, so of the 3 drivers that are about to be
    > removed, only i2c-ixp4xx can be removed without functionality loss at
    > the moment. Lennert, Russell, are there any plans to convert the
    > ixp2000 platform to use the generic GPIO layer?
    >
    > Maybe I shouldn't have added this entry in feature-removal-schedule.txt
    > in the first place: these drivers should ideally be dropped in favor of
    > i2c-gpio, but it can only happen for platforms that implement the
    > standard GPIO API. As I am not the one who will convert these
    > platforms, and some of them might as well never be converted (I don't
    > know how active they are nowadays), there's not much I can do.

    Well if I get a chance I might try to do it for the scx200 at some point
    (since I do use it) although given the current i2c driver works just
    fine and I have no need for the rest of the gpio lines what so ever
    there isn't that much insentive to do so yet.

    Removing the existing i2c driver would seem like a mistake at this time
    though.

    --
    Len Sorensen