SubjectRe: [RFC] New kobject/kset/ktype documentation and example code
On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 10:01 +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:02:52 -0800, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> > Among other things, kobject_init() sets the kobject's reference count to
> > one. Calling kobject_init() is not sufficient, however. Kobject users
> > must, at a minimum, set the name of the kobject; this is the name that will
> > be used in sysfs entries.
>
> Unless they don't register their kobject. (But they should always set a
> name anyway to avoid funny debug messages, so it is probably a good
> idea to call this a "must").

Yeah, we should require it. And kobject_cleanup() needs to be called to
free the allocated name, if the object is not already added and needs to
be deleted (common in rewinding on error).

Btw, do you have a good example for unregistered/unnamed kobjects?

Thanks,
Kay