SubjectRe: profile code added to netif_receive_skb function
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:46:26 PST, kernel coder said:
> hi,
>
> I have added some code to netif_receive_skb function.As linux kernel
> is multhreaded , so there is no gaurantee than mine code is completely
> executed without being disturbed by any other process .Timer interrupt
> handler is an example of code which might interrupt execution of mine
> code.

The trick is to write your code so it doesn't *matter* if other code runs.

For example - the timer interrupt almost certainly doesn't look at or modify
any of *your* code's variables. So 98% of the kernel's code you don't
even have to *care* if it runs (as long as you aren't doing something
real-time or has similar response-time or throughput constraints).

And if you are worried about that other 2%, where related code, for example the
IRQ handler for a network interface, may have to look at and/or modify some of
your variables, that's when you should be using appropriate locking - there's
mutexes, semaphores, the whole RCU family, and more - none of which I'll
attempt to explain, because I'm not all that good at that stuff.

Basic rule of thumb - if you have something that will break if two things
access it at the same time, put a lock around it, so they take turns.

  Last update: 2007-11-27 05:03    [W:0.036 / U:0.624 seconds]