SubjectRe: kernel bugzilla is FPOS (was: Re: "buggy cmd640" message followed by soft lockup)
Date
On Monday, 26 of November 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:30:06AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Monday, 26 of November 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > That's not possible, but as already said it's not required.
> > > And more important, it's unrelated to any problems we have.
> > >
> > > And it sounds funny that you first write specifications mandating stuff
> > > like "IMO, first, it should ask for what the bug is against" and then
> > > demand an additional email interface that bypasses everything you
> > > demanded previously.
> >
> > I just realize that there are people who wouldn't like to use the web interface
> > and would prefer to use email instead.
>
> In the cases where these are kernel developers that do (or should)
> handle dozens of bugs each week I see a point if they have problems
> integrating some medium into their workflow.
>
> But in all software, no matter whether open source or commercial, bug
> reporters simply have to use whatever the vendor offers as support
> channel.

Yes.

That's why we should tell them what the channel is. :-)

> > Moreover, you won't force people to use the web interface only for reporting
> > bugs, because frankly for some kinds of problems it's too heavywieght
>
> That developers who know what they are doing might bypass the bug
> tracking is not a problem.
>
> > (compilation problems and purely software, reproducible things like that are
> > much faster resolved using email; this also applies to easily reproducible bugs
> > in general). Still, it wouldn't hurt if they were automatically tracked.
>
> This sounds like "a bit pregnant"...
>
> Tracking requires things like e.g. categorizing the issue and marking it
> as fixed when it got fixed.

Yes, but that may be done after the fact. It's not a big problem to review an
email thread starting from a bug report and see if it lead to a fix (I do that
on a regular basis). [Note: They tend to be relatively short. ] You can even
check if the fix has been merged.

Still, you need to know which threads to review.

Greetings,
Rafael

  Last update: 2007-11-26 23:41    [W:1.856 / U:0.020 seconds]