    SubjectRe: No error when inotify_add_watch(/an/NFS/file)
    From
    J. Bruce Fields wrote:
    > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 11:20:55PM +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
    >> Dear Experts,
    >>
    >> NFS doesn't work with inotify (and it looks like it can't, certainly not
    >> before NFS v4.1). However, if I give an NFS filename to
    >> inotify_add_watch(), I don't get an error.
    >>
    >> If it indicated an error in this case then I could easily fall back to some
    >> sort of polling. Without an error, I need some other way to detect NFS
    >> (and any other non-inotify-compatible filesystems).
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >
    > The one reason I can think of that you might want that behavior is if
    > you know you only access a given piece of the filesystem from one client
    > at a time, and you still want inotify to work in that situation.

    That's a good point.

    > (I'm assuming inotify still notifies you of changes that are made on the same
    > client.)

    A quick test suggest that it does.

    > But maybe you could handle that case by allowing inotify_add_watch() in
    > the case where the nfs filesystem was mounted with the "nolock" option,
    > and failing it otherwise, and telling people to turn on nolock if
    > they're sure they know what they're doing.

    I'm not sure what your rationale for proposing that is, and I don't
    think it helps in my scenario; a user wants their inotify-using
    application to "just work", not to be told to "sudo re-mount".

    I suppose that I just need some way to determine whether I will get
    all, some, or none of the events that I've asked for.

    Phil.

      Last update: 2007-11-24 21:15    [W:0.021 / U:35.624 seconds]