SubjectRe: System reboot triggered by just reading a device file....!?
since i have gotten more or less similar answers from here, i have talked to some more people privately.

the result is interesting:
if the person i talked to was some sysadmin or related to that (i.e. some person running servers), his opinion was very similar to mine.
if the person was a developer, he didn`t really understand why i have a problem with that. "be careful if you are root" was what i got.

one of the admins gave a good statement, which i liked very much and want to share:

"even if you are root: it`s unix philosophy, that reading is harmless!"

i never thought about that, but i think that`s exactly the point and that`s why i`m feeling uncomfortable with that.

anyway - it cost me some time to find a bug which was none and the only mistake i did was using a tool for which i was sure did nothing more than reading. so why should i care that i was root ?

need to change my own philosophy now, because i learned that reading isn`t harmless. ;)

regards
roland