    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] SO_NO_CHECK for IPv6
    From
    From: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>
    Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:17:40 -0500

    > YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 wrote:
    > > In article <20071121124532.GA17263@havoc.gtf.org> (at Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:45:32 -0500), Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> says:
    > >
    > >> SO_NO_CHECK support for IPv6 appeared to be missing. This is presented,
    > >> based on a reading of net/ipv4/udp.c.
    > >
    > > Disagree. UDP checksum is mandatory in IPv6.
    >
    > Ah, you mean that I need to turn off UDP checksum on receive end as well
    > in IPv6... true.
    >
    > For those interested, I am dealing with a UDP app that already does very
    > strong checksumming and encryption, so additional software checksumming
    > at the lower layers is quite simply a waste of CPU cycles. Hardware
    > checksumming is fine, as long as its "free."

    Regardless of whatever verifications your application is doing
    on the data, it is not checksumming the ports and that's what
    the pseudo-header is helping with.

    You cannot disable checksums in ipv6/UDP, they are not optional and
    with %99.9999999 of cards doing the checksum in hardware, and even if
    we do have to compute it it's free during the copy during recvmsg().

      Last update: 2007-11-23 02:15    [W:0.020 / U:91.692 seconds]