    SubjectRe: [ANN] Squashfs 3.3 released
    On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 04:32:00PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
    > maximilian attems wrote:
    > > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:13:14AM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
    > >
    > >> The next stage after this release is to fix the one remaining blocking issue
    > >> (filesystem endianness), and then try to get Squashfs mainlined into the
    > >> Linux kernel again.
    > >>

    > > that would be very cool!
    > Yes, it would be cool :) Five years is a long time to maintain
    > something out of tree, especially recently when there's been
    > so many minor changes to the VFS interface between kernel releases.
    > > with my hat as debian kernel maintainer i'd be very relieved to see it
    > > mainlined. i don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship it.
    > >
    > I don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship Squashfs either
    > (except arguably Slackware). Putting my other hat on (one of the
    > Ubuntu kernel maintainers) I don't think Squashfs has caused
    > distros that many problems because it is an easy patch to apply
    > (it doesn't touch that many kernel files), but it is always good
    > to minimise the differences from the stock kernel.

    The biggest problem we've seen with it (asides from having to rediff
    it every time we rebase when there isn't a newer upstream) is complaints
    along the lines of "my Fedora 7 kernel can't unpack squashfs images
    from Fedora 5"
    (s/Fedora 5/other random older distros/ )

    If the format is now stable however, it would be great to get it upstream.

      Last update: 2007-11-21 00:53    [W:0.021 / U:44.872 seconds]