SubjectRe: SCSI breakage on non-cache coherent architectures

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 09:29 +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:51:14AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 00:38 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> > > From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
> > > Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:35:23 +1100

> > > You could make a ____dma_cacheline_aligned and use that.
> > > It seems pretty reasonable.
> >
> > I was thinking about that. What archs would need it ? arm, mips, what
> > else ?
>
> older parisc

Actually, we already established on IRC that the lasi700 driver doesn't
need this, principally because the parisc architecture doesn't do an
invalidate for DMA_FROM_DEVICE but a flush and invalidate
(architecturally, if you read our manuals, even pdc is entitled to write
back dirty lines, so it's not clear there's actually an invalidate
instruction we can use). This is also one possible temporary fix for
the other architectures if we can't get a different method to work
nicely.

James

James

  Last update: 2007-11-20 15:39    [W:0.131 / U:0.852 seconds]