    SubjectRe: sb live (emu10k1) stops working between and
    At Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:18:29 -0500 (EST),
    Jim Faulkner wrote:
    > I've done some more testing this morning, and it appears that the "ALSA:
    > emu10k1 - Fix memory corruption" patch from has broken digital
    > output on my SB Live Value card. Simply replacing the emumixer.c
    > with the version included in I was able to get digital output
    > working again under
    > This does not appear to be a simple matter of adjusting the alsa mixer to
    > compsensate for how the mixer controls are exposed to userspace. I have
    > duplicated all alsamixer settings between and stock in
    > the "F5" view all controls mode, but still received no audio output. I
    > also tried adjusting other volume controls which normally do not need
    > adjusting, but got nowhere. It appears that the emu10k1 patch
    > broke digital output entirely on this card.
    > Just to add to the information in my first message, the SB Live card is
    > connected from the yellow jack on the card to the "Digital Coax Input"
    > connector on my external amplifier.

    It's no regression of the driver. The problem is just a wrong use of
    alsactl in your init script. It should use -F option to ignore
    unmatching elements, which is caused when a mixer element is removed
    or renamed.

    This problem doesn't happen so often (as we try to keep the
    compatibility as much as possible), so I didn't realize some distros
    still doing wrong for years.

    Anyway, this won't be a problem in future since I changed the default
    behavior of alsactl to with -F.

      Last update: 2007-11-19 07:57    [W:0.024 / U:41.412 seconds]