SubjectRe: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:13:56PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:52:32PM +0100, Benoit Boissinot wrote:
>>
>>> Btw, I used to test every -mm kernel. But since I've switched distros
>>> (gentoo->ubuntu)
>>> and I have less time, I feel it's harder to test -rc or -mm kernels (I
>>> know this isn't a lkml problem
>>> but more a distro problem, but I would love having an ubuntu blessed
>>> repo with current dev kernel
>>> for the latest stable ubuntu release).
>>>
>> There are two parts to this. One is a Ubuntu development kernel which
>> we can give to large numbers of people to expand our testing pool.
>> But if we don't do a better job of responding to bug reports that
>> would be generated by expanded testing this won't necessarily help us.
>>

> The main problem aren't missing testers [1] - we already have relatively
> experienced people testing kernels and/or reporting bugs, and we slowly
> scare them away due to the many bug reports without any reaction.
>
> The main problem is finding experienced developers who spend time on
> looking into bug reports.
>
> Getting many relatively unexperienced users (who need more guidance for
> debugging issues) as additional testers is therefore IMHO not
> necessarily a good idea.
>
> [1] and e.g. when Greg says he has a few hundred people who want to
> write drivers it would most likely be possible to find a few
> dozen additional -rc testers among them

Hum. If only each of those would squash one bug a week besides their own
work...
I would expect he's got a handful that know IDE, another group that is
into network drivers and so on.

I predict that pile of bugs to disappear in weeks (-;

Just my $0.02.

Jan Evert

  Last update: 2007-11-14 18:33    [W:0.210 / U:0.340 seconds]