    SubjectRe: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

    * Randy Dunlap <> wrote:

    > > (and this is in no way directed at the networking folks - it holds
    > > for all of us. I have one main complaint about networking: the
    > > separate netdev list is a bad idea - networking regressions should
    > > be discussed and fixed on lkml, like most other subsystems are. Any
    > > artificial split of the lk discussion space is bad.)
    > but here I disagree. LKML is already too busy and noisy. Major
    > subsystems need their own discussion areas.

    That's a stupid argument. We lose much more by forced isolation of
    discussion than what we win by having less traffic! It's _MUCH_ easier
    to narrow down information (by filter by threads, by topics, by people,
    etc.) than it is to gobble information together from various fractured
    sources. We learned it _again and again_ that isolation of kernel
    discussions causes bad things.

    In fact this thread is the very example: David points out that on netdev
    some of those bugs were already discussed and resolved. Had it been all
    on lkml we'd all be aware of it.

    this is a single kernel project that is released together as one
    codebase, so a central place of discussion is obvious and common-sense.

    so please stop this "too busy and too noisy" nonsense already. It was
    nonsense 10 years ago and it's nonsense today. In 10 years the kernel
    grew from a 1 million lines codebase to an 8 million lines codebase, so
    what? Deal with it and be intelligent about filtering your information
    influx instead of imposing a hard pre-filtering criteria that restricts
    intelligent processing of information.

      Last update: 2007-11-14 15:13    [W:0.029 / U:0.860 seconds]