SubjectRe: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:32:19 +0000 Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> There's another issue I want to raise concerning bugzilla. We have the
> classic case of "not enough people reading bugzilla bugs" - which is one
> of the biggest problems with bugzilla. Virtually no one in the ARM
> community looks for ARM bugs in bugzilla.

Nor should they.

> Let's not forget that it would be a waste of time for people to manually
> check bugzilla for ARM bugs. There's soo few people reporting ARM bugs
> into bugzilla that a weekly manual check by every maintainer would just
> return the same old boring results for months and months at a time.

I screen all bugzilla reports. 100% of them.

- I'll try to establish whether it is a regression

- I'll solicit any extra information which I believe the reveloper will need

- I'll ensure that an appropriate developer has seen the report

And yes, the number of arm-specific reports in there is very small.

> It would be far more productive if the ARM category was deleted from
> bugzilla and the few people who use bugzilla reported their bugs on the
> mailing list. We've a couple of thousand people on the ARM kernel
> mailing list at the moment - that's 3 orders of magnitude more of eyes
> than look at bugzilla.

Is that linux-arm-kernel@lists.arm.linux.org.uk?

If so, MANITAINERS claims that it is subscribers-only. That would cause
some bug reporters to give up and go away.