    SubjectRe: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs
    On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:50:08PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >> for example git-bisect was godsent. I remember that years ago bisection of
    >> a bug was a very laborous task so that it was only used as a final,
    >> last-ditch approach for really nasty bugs. Today we can autonomouly bisect
    >> build bugs via a simple shell command around "git-bisect run", without any
    >> human interaction! This freed up testing resources
    > ..
    > It's only a godsend for the few people who happen to be kernel developers

    It's also godsend for users who want a regression they observe fixed.

    If you can tell which patch broke it you often turned a very hard to
    debug problem into a relatively easy fixable problem.

    As an example, [1] was an issue a normal user could discover, and
    bisecting made the difference between "nearly undebuggable" and
    "easily fixable by revertng a commit".

    > and who happen to already use git.

    As already said in thread, the required instructions for bisecting are
    relatively short and simple (assuming the user can build his own

    > It's a 540MByte download over a slow link for everyone else.

    Not everyone has a slow connection.

    For me, the speed of cloning a tree from is completely
    cpu bound and limited by the speed of the 1.8 Ghz Athlon in my

    But if there is a real life problem like people with extremely slow and
    expensive internet connections not being able to bisect bugs these
    problems should be named and fixed (e.g. by sending CDs).

    > -ml

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2007-11-13 19:15    [W:0.021 / U:15.012 seconds]