SubjectRe: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:50:08PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>
>> for example git-bisect was godsent. I remember that years ago bisection of
>> a bug was a very laborous task so that it was only used as a final,
>> last-ditch approach for really nasty bugs. Today we can autonomouly bisect
>> build bugs via a simple shell command around "git-bisect run", without any
>> human interaction! This freed up testing resources
> ..
>
> It's only a godsend for the few people who happen to be kernel developers

It's also godsend for users who want a regression they observe fixed.

If you can tell which patch broke it you often turned a very hard to
debug problem into a relatively easy fixable problem.

As an example, [1] was an issue a normal user could discover, and
bisecting made the difference between "nearly undebuggable" and
"easily fixable by revertng a commit".

> and who happen to already use git.

As already said in thread, the required instructions for bisecting are
relatively short and simple (assuming the user can build his own
kernels).

> It's a 540MByte download over a slow link for everyone else.

Not everyone has a slow connection.

For me, the speed of cloning a tree from git.kernel.org is completely
cpu bound and limited by the speed of the 1.8 Ghz Athlon in my
computer...

But if there is a real life problem like people with extremely slow and
expensive internet connections not being able to bisect bugs these
problems should be named and fixed (e.g. by sending CDs).

> -ml

cu
Adrian

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/12/154