    SubjectRe: Major SATA / EXT3 Issue?
    Hi all!

    (Please Cc)

    I alsohave to report a very similar incident. Debian/sid, kernel 2.6.22.
    Doing some hard work for the disk (svn up of two big repositories, some
    copying of files, etc etc).

    Suddently the PC froze. Nothing, I had to reboot. But then:
    - BIOS didn't detect the disks, or better, it took extremely long
    - booting into linux gave those time out messages already mentioned (I
    am away, cannot give you details for now till sunday)
    - booting into windows frooze windows when accessing the second harddisk
    (from which stuff was copied).
    - reseting the computer didn't help., but turning physically off, and
    turning on again did the trick, some fsck-ing.
    - booting into windows needed chkdsk from ewindows, and severalk files

    Both the disks and the computer are quite new, and are NOT heavily used,
    only now and then.

    AFAIR nv SATA driver.

    Ic ould repeat these problems with big copying actions.

    The problem with logging is that the computer freezes hard and nothing
    remains in the log files.

    Best wishes

    Dr. Norbert Preining <> Vienna University of Technology
    Debian Developer <> Debian TeX Group
    JARROW (adj.)
    An agricultural device which, when towed behind a tractor, enables the
    farmer to spread his dung evenly across the width of the road.
    --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

      Last update: 2007-11-02 01:33    [W:0.030 / U:51.424 seconds]