SubjectRe: [RFC] cpuset relative memory policies - second choice
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Paul Jackson wrote:

> Christoph, replying to pj:
> > > Well, the mpol_nodemask_mode already is char. So I guess you're
> > > asking if we should change 'policy' to type char as well.
> >
> > Right.
>
> Ok - but why?
>
> I don't see that it matters whether policy is short or char.

It looks strange if they have different. Maybe use u8 for both?

> > s/numactl/libnuma/
>
> So you would rather have libnuma manage this flag?
>
> As opposed to what else managing it? I'm still a tad confused on
> what you're suggesting on this one.

You are managing it in the task struct. No need to. libnuma can handle it.

> > But that is only done in libnuma. User code does not call this directly.
>
> I disagree.
>
> There are several mempolicy interfaces in use, including at least:
> 1) libnuma, which in turn is based on (5), below
> 2) the numactl command line utility (based on libnuma)
> 3) libcpuset (which has its own modest mempolicy interface)

These are no problem 1/2 are libnuma. No current version of libcpuset
is available.

> 4) the glibc mbind/set_mempolicy/get_mempolicy wrappers, in C code
> 5) roll your own mbind/*_mempolicy system call wrappers, in C code

Those exist? Never seen that.

> With the mode bit as in my patch, there are fewer places in the user
> code that have to be gotten just right. With your way, each and
> every mbind and *_mempolicy call has to be hacked with the new flag
> if one is going to use the new nodemask bit numbering. Some of these

Yes and that makes sure it is thought through and done right.

> Perhaps that's the way to go:
> mbind2, get_mempolicy2, and set_mempolicy2.

That would be okay from the backwards compat standpoint.

  Last update: 2007-11-01 06:27    [W:0.073 / U:0.076 seconds]