SubjectRe: 2.6.23 regression: accessing invalid mmap'ed memory from gdb causes unkillable spinning

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Untested patch follows

Ok, this looks ok.

Except I would remove the VM_MAYSHARE bit from the test.

That whole bit should go, in fact.

We used to make it something different: iirc, a read-only SHARED mapping
was downgraded to a non-shared mapping, because we wanted to avoid some of
the costs we used to have with the VM implementation (actually, I think it
was various filesystems that don't like shared mappings because they don't
have a per-page writeback). But we left the VM_MAYSHARE bit on, to get
/proc/<pid>/mmap things right.

Or something like that. I forget the details. But I *think* we don't
actually need this any more.

But basically, the "right" way to test for shared mappings is historically
to just test the VM_MAYSHARE bit - but not *both* bits. Because VM_SHARE
may have been artificially cleared.

Somebody should double-check my memory.

Linus

  Last update: 2007-11-01 17:13    [W:0.293 / U:0.064 seconds]