    SubjectRe: RFC: reviewer's statement of oversight
    On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 10:49:20AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
    > Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
    > > > + (b) Any problems, concerns, or questions relating to the patch have been
    > > > + communicated back to the submitter. I am satisfied with how the
    > > > + submitter has responded to my comments.
    > >
    > > This seems more detailed that necessary. The process (communicated
    > > back / responded) is not really relevant.
    >
    > Instead, it seems to me that the process is crucially important.
    > Reviewed-by shouldn't be a rubber stamp that somebody applies to a
    > patch; I think it should really imply that issues of interest have been
    > communicated to the developers. If we are setting expectations for what
    > Reviewed-by means, I would prefer to leave an explicit mention of
    > communication in there.

    I couldn't agree more, Jon.

    If we are to have a meaningful reviewed-by tag, it has to be clearly
    documented as to what responsibilities it places on the reviewer. If
    someone doesn't want to perform a well conducted review, then they
    haven't earned the right to issue a Reviewed-by tag - they can use
    the Acked-by rubber stamp instead.

    FWIW, w.r.t. XFS patches, we already follow both the letter and
    intent of your proposed reviewed-by tag for all changes to XFS code
    and reviewers are currently listed as Signed-off-by in git-commits
    (our internal SCM records the reviewer(s) and the git export script
    converts that to s-o-b). It would be much more meaningful if they
    were exported as Reviewed-by under your definition....

    IOWs, I fully support your definition of the Reviewed-by tag.

    Cheers,

    Dave.
    --
    Dave Chinner