SubjectRe: remove zero_page (was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.24)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

> I have done some tests which indicate a couple of very basic common tools
> don't do much zero-page activity (ie. kbuild). And also combined with some
> logical arguments to say that a "sane" app wouldn't be using zero_page much.
> (basically -- if the app cares about memory or cache footprint and is using
> many pages of zeroes, then it should have a more compressed representation
> of zeroes anyway).

One of the things that zero-page has been used for is absolutely *huge*
(but sparse) arrays in Fortan programs.

At least in traditional fortran, it was very hard to do dynamic
allocations, so people would allocate the *maximum* array statically, and
then not necessarily use everything. I don't know if the pages ever even
got paged in, but this is the kind of usage which is *not* insane.

Linus