    SubjectRe: remove zero_page (was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.24)

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > I have done some tests which indicate a couple of very basic common tools
    > don't do much zero-page activity (ie. kbuild). And also combined with some
    > logical arguments to say that a "sane" app wouldn't be using zero_page much.
    > (basically -- if the app cares about memory or cache footprint and is using
    > many pages of zeroes, then it should have a more compressed representation
    > of zeroes anyway).

    One of the things that zero-page has been used for is absolutely *huge*
    (but sparse) arrays in Fortan programs.

    At least in traditional fortran, it was very hard to do dynamic
    allocations, so people would allocate the *maximum* array statically, and
    then not necessarily use everything. I don't know if the pages ever even
    got paged in, but this is the kind of usage which is *not* insane.

      Last update: 2007-10-09 16:55    [W:0.030 / U:112.932 seconds]